Monday, June 12, 2006

A Thinker's Progress: Introduction

This is actually a re-post of my original thoughts about what i hoped this blog would be. After two months and several blunders, i think that i have finally grasped how to maintain a blog site. With that in mind, here is my original post.

My purpose in starting this blog is to discuss theology and philosophy. To many, this will seem as a waste of time at best, and a devisive tool at worst. However, let me try to elucidate why this site will be different as succintly as possible.Many people my age have charged that theology is impractical, and often turns into a contest to see "who is smarter (the person that i remember saying this was quoting, interestingly enough, Brian Mclaren)," rather than how our beliefs can be well-informed yet practical to our daily walks with Christ.

I see much truth in my friends, and in general, evangelical Christians, claims here. However, my earnest hope and prayer is that we can find a solution that allows us to have both.It seems to me that when people say that theologians are people who sit in ivory tower think-tanks, and do no "real ministry." What is often needed, many say, is just to read the bible, believe it, and do it.What is interesting about this line of reasoning is that it is actually fallacious logically. These sentiments are a perfect example of what is called the "false dilemma." Basically, this fallacy occurs when two options or solutions to a problem, which are often the two extreme points, are held to be the only solutions available, when actually there are more options to be considered., some of which seek a middle ground between the two extremes. I believe that is what is happening in this situation, although sadly some people's commitment to not consider philosophic ideas prevent them from seeing what they are doing here.In essence, i am saying that it is not necessary to throw out the baby with the bathwater (pardon the crude analogy).

We can in fact, have our cake and eat it too. I believe this is possible when we appraoch our intellectual pursuits with humility. When we start believing that all that we believe is 100% correct, we run into the danger of pride, which is the real cause of our "i am smarter than you" discussions.I like the theologian Clark Pinnock's analogy of being a "pilgrim." A pilgrim is a journeyman, someone who hasn't arrived yet. I believe that this metaphor is the right way to do theology.If we conduct our discussions in an attitude of still journeying towards a better understanding of God, we leave ourselves open to learning from each other, and possibly seeing Truth clearer, which will enable us to get at the real goal of all that we do; a deeper, more passionately lived discipleship with the Lord Jesus Christ.

I invite you to join me on my pilgrimage of faith. May we seek to understand God as best that we can, so that we may serve Him

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home