Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Thinker's Progress #5: "I Do"

Well, i recently took the "plunge" and got hitched. I got married on July 1st, went on a week-long honeymoon, and then spent the last two weeks getting moved to my new home an hour away from where we graduated from college. This will hopefully explain why i haven't posted in over a month; it has been one crazy month.

I am excited to finish the "Jesus, the smartest man who ever lived" posts, as well as talk about married life, living in huge city (over 300,000 people), and other such theologoical ramblings. My first class for graduate school is over church history, so i am sure that my posts will move in that direction. I have over 1,200 pages to read in a little under two months once the class starts in late August (i am going to start early!) spanning over a variety of backgrounds and perspectives, so i am pretty pumped and intimdated.

One initial comment over marriage. It is great, but not what i (naively) expected. However, it has already been one of the most profound object lessons regarding what it means to have faith in Christ that i have experienced to this point in my life. She and i are one. Everything i have is hers. I have realized that the only way i am going to be able to love like Christ does the church is to trust her completely. I have to believe that she will hold up her end of the deal, or i immediately begin to act selfishly, trying to take "terrritory," so that i can eventually "win the war." I assume that the parallel (marriage-faith in Christ) is obvious.


That's it for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That's an interesting insight. I think the opposite of trust is control, in some ways.

10:33 PM  
Blogger derek said...

I think that there is a lot of truth to what you say. To me it seems pretty straightforward; if i can trust you to love me, take care of me, and help me, why would i try to thwart that?

I think i would try to stop you if i didn't believe that you either wanted to do those things or were unable to. The only possible excpetion i can think of right now is someone who doesn't "want" to be loved. That seems to be a separate issue.

1:33 AM  
Blogger derek said...

That is a hilarious story Chris. I probably have so many of those from the first three weeks that i wouldn't know where to begin. In all of those cases, i also am eating wheat toast, which sometimes costs $1, sometimes $4.

You were a blessing to my wife and i Chris, and i really appreciate your offer. My time working with the FEFC children was great . . . in fact, i might be doing something similar on a full-time basis here in wichita. I might be rattling your cage for advice.

Blessings Chris.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home